Virtual Dancing Information
All our dancing is now "hybrid." If you live near our Columbus, Dublin and Worthington (Ohio) locations, you are encouraged to join us in person. (Friday and Monday classes require session registration and prepayment. Look at our LOCATIONS page for schedule and location.)
Not located in Central Ohio? Then become part of our Zoom family! We have a growing International Zoom audience. Before each class, we'll send you a Zoom link for that session. Just click the link, and follow the easy directions. If necessary, choose COMPUTER AUDIO as your means of communicating.IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY PART OF OUR DANCE FAMILY, PLEASE USE THE "SIGN-UP FORM" TO TELL US YOUR NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS AND YOUR GENERAL LOCATION. WE'LL ADD YOU TO OUR DANCING LIST. YOU CAN UNSUBSCRIBE AT ANY TIME.
When joining us via Zoom for the first time, you may have the opportunity to "give us permission to manage your microphone." If you will be dancing in a quiet place, say YES. (In between dances, we may open your microphone for conversation.) If you will be in a noisy environment (loud people, phones, TV, children, pets, etc) say NO. (If you say NO, however, you will frequently see an annoying box pop up, inviting you to open your microphone.)
If you've never used Zoom video conferencing, just think of it as Skype or FaceTime, for a large group of people at once. The first time you connect, you may be prompted to install an App or other software. This is safe to do.
- Gallery View: You see each dancer in their own little rectangle. When the microphones are "open", everyone can talk with each other. Good between dances, but not very useful for learning a dance. (Frankly, this view is chaos in a large group. Imagine the largest group you've ever been in, with everyone talking at once.)
- Speaker View: When you choose Speaker View, the technology tries to focus on whoever is speaking.
- We "Spotlight" our dance floor: We'll close all the microphones just before we teach or dance, so the "spotlight" will be on the instructor.
- Chat: You can text chat with EVERYONE, or choose another dancer or the Host to text chat with privately. When one instructor is teaching, the other will often monitor the Chat.
- Video: On your end, you can choose to keep your video camera ON (we can see you) or OFF (we just see your name). You can still talk with us, though!
- Audio: You can choose to MUTE your audio/microphone throughout, if you just want to listen. Or you can UNMUTE your mic to talk, then MUTE it again. (If everyone leaves their microphone open all the time, we hear every cat, dog, child, doorbell, telephone, siren, side conversation ...)
So, it is best to practice good video conference etiquette to get the most out of this style of gathering. To gain the advantage of real-time interaction, we must be mindful of our microphones.